Friday, April 29, 2016

The end of April already?! A little outdoor work, a little painting, and a whole lot of rocking!

Hello friends!

Time management has not been my friend these past few weeks...I had good intentions of sitting down and pumping out a post quite a few times, but then I must have gotten distracted by life. :)  And life is good!


These gorgeous sunrises I am now experiencing take my breath straight away. And the sunsets aren't too shabby either!

Since the last post I've done a bit out of outdoor work...moved some rocks from the massive pile behind the barn to surround the rest of the flower bed in front:




After I saw the deep ruts I was adding to the already rutted yard with the truck, I switched over to using my plastic, PLASTIC, garden dump cart...that holds 4 rocks total. I've been heavily hinting to Hubs that we need a metal heavy duty cart that I can connect to the back of the zero turn mower for hauling...or a just get me a big tractor with a front loader, that will work too.



You can see the bit of rock-lined flower bed here (that speck at the end of drive is M waiting for his bus). The previous owners had only put rocks around the front, not the back side.  We're deciding on what to do with the large expanse of grass in the front beyond the tree you can see sitting behind the bed...it is low ground so stays pretty moist (not the best situation for mowing) so thinking of working up and planting a wildflower field on both sides of driveway...great for the critters and for cutting down that 2+ hour mowing time.  Research has begun!

Cleaned some more dead stuff away from the side of the barn and out of the blackberry and asparagus patches:


This...want to just set fire but Hubs won't let me...says it's too close to his precious barn.

Asparagus patch (have 3 total)

Before blackberry patch

After blackberry patch...seem to be randomly growing wherever

The beast I need to tame next, the concord grape vine


I celebrated my "35th" birthday (again) so Hubs took me out to eat the most delicious walleye meal at the historic Dorsey House near Port Huron.  Originally built in 1847, it served as a half-way house for horse and buggy travelers between Port Huron and Yale. The original building was replaced in 1995 but they kept a lot of the old charm. thedorseyhouse.com 

Threw that sunroof open! (Please excuse the nostril shot.)

Faboosh!

Then celebrated a bit more in the coming days with gifts from Iowa (thank you Lu!), get together with HS friends (so blessed to still have these people in my life!), and a surprise cake from my Bunco girls (love them...Hubs did not get me a birthday cake so they took care of me!).


From Hubs along with a pedi & mani gift certificate <3

Cheese box & coasters hand painted by the one and only Lu from Iowa! Love her!


This sign fit perfectly onto my growing gallery wall in the living room, thank you Jen!

This candle smells like I imagine Hawaii smells like...thank you Todd with 2 d's!

My gorgeous hens and their man for my kitchen...thanks Cin!

This German Chocolate cake was fabulous...thank you Bunco chicks!

Back to house projects, the festivities are over (well almost...I am having a postponed lunch date at The Olive Garden with some fabulous ladies today).

With the weather getting warmer (some days at least), it was time to get rocking chair out onto the front porch. But it looked so lonely that I knew I'd have to go get its twin.  So I made the trip to Cracker Barrel and shoved one into the back of my car.  Along with 2 sets of their rocking hair pads made just for their rocker's shape in red and white gingham.



I originally planned on painting them a glossy red, but after putting the pads on them I think they're fabulous as is.  Got them all set up in their new spot but they still needed something: a rug underneath!

I hopped onto the Wayfair site and started searching for 4x6 rugs under $50.  This one caught my eye straight away:


Of course it's on sale now, a week later.  Snag one!  It's made from recycled plastic and comes with the cutest burlap storage bag!  a 5x7 rug would have been too big for the space...what I really needed was a 4x7 but for some reason they just don't make that size.  They need to.  Just need to find a small round metal table now for my drink and the grouping is complete. Love!



Hubs borrowed his dad's extension ladder to get the 2nd story shutters down for me, but as you can see it just wasn't working:


He straddled the 2nd story window sill and took them off that way.  There is just no standing on that pitch of a roof.  They are in the basement waiting to get a coat of BM Hale Navy (mixed in SW exterior paint)...as soon as I pick up another can.

It's been fun watching things bloom and grow around here, it was all pretty much dead when we moved in last fall.  Looks like I have 3 Lilac trees planted at each corner of the sunroom and another at back north corner of house, cannot wait to see and smell them!  A few clumps look to be dead and most are planted randomly around the yard (see below pic) so we are digging up and moving whenever it's nice out.  There are Daffodils and Tulips popping up in random areas so I've been slowly transplanting them as well.


Growing randomly in the uncut area north of our yard



This fabulous solid maple cabinet was gifted to me by my friend CG and it was exactly what I needed on the other wall off the sunroom...perfect height for seed starting!  I got out my sampler of RePurpose ReColor paint in Fireball Red RePurposeRecolorFireball and gave it a quick dry brush coat...it allowed the wood grain to show through while covering up the nicks and scratches.  I love the patina on the old hardware so gave it a quick wipe down and put it back on as is. Thank you CG, mwah!









Soccer season is upon us, M is loving playing with his new AYSO team (think it helps his confidence that he's one of the bigger kids on the team haha) and we travel to Cass City tomorrow for a 9am game.  The last game of the season in June is up in Sebewaing so we'll make a day of that one!


So when we're not going to soccer practices, or soccer scrimmages, or soccer games, or transplanting plants, or moving rocks, or cutting grass....this I pray will be my nightly rocking view.

No comments:

Post a Comment