Monday, April 11, 2016

A spring break to possibly forget...

...not to remember fondly. It was more of a winter break for those of us unlucky souls that didn't travel south to find the sun and heat; already warned Hubs we WILL be finding heat somewhere next year's break.  Every time I've said "this HAS to be the last snow storm" it snows again.  So after both weekends of spring break filled with the flying white stuff, I am holding my tongue.  And if you know me, you know how hard this is for me to do.

We had a low key spring break around here, which was fine with M who really didn't want to do anything that required getting dressed and leaving his man cave upstairs. We did drag him out to find him some clothing (he's outgrown just about everything AGAIN and throws it in my face daily that he's taller than me) and again another day for a family field trip to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn (Hubs took the day off), a place I hadn't been to since I was a Girl Scout.  We all enjoyed it, let us forget the miserable weather outside for a few hours. We then took the long way home up the coast of Lake St. Clair and the river to Port Huron where we stopped for dinner and a brew at ThumbCoast Brewing Company off Quay St.

Enjoy the picture show, and you're welcome for not posting all 150 photos I took:


The Model T

Installing the muffler onto a Model T frame





Had to bribe him with lunch to get this shot in front of the Wienermobile.

Love!

M had a hard time believing this was a pioneer kitchen.


Only one in existence and Henry Ford has it.












One of my favorite displays that really puts it all into perspective.
















The museum is  well laid out and SO much to see from the invent of the automobile production line, history of furniture, important American history timelines including all about the 80s (one of my favorite displays!), farming equipment, locomotives and all other forms of transportation. And so much more!  It was a great and much needed family day.

I did get a couple of projects ticked off of the to-do list during the break:  the painting of the bathroom vanities.

The guest bath I opted to use a light gray, RePurpose ReColor Flannel Gray, to cover the worn oak cabinet and found my can of Rustoleum ORB in the basement for the nasty inset toilet paper holder.



Fabulous painter's tape...spring for the good stuff, no regrets.

1 coat people and no priming!



There are so many reasons why I love using the ReColor paint, I know I have raved about it over and over again in my posts. This paint covers ANYTHING!  The side of this cabinet had some seriously warped and wrinkled laminate from getting wet over the years...covered.

Decided since I had the paint brush out to get the master bath vanity painted as well.  This is one room in the house that will get a gut job some day so I don't want to put too much into its existence.  But I knew a coat of paint would at least make it more pleasing to the eye and take away the focus on the worn, not attractive vinyl floor.  Question I had to answer was what color, the light gray again or dark?

Dark won out.  1.25 coats later of Cast Iron Kettle Black (a dark charcoal), 2 coats of Rustoleum Hammered Black spray paint on the inset toilet paper holder and WAALAA!



A bit of screw overkill?







Love the hammered paint so much, I believe I've found the solution to a cheap lighting update in this room and the other bathroom. The oak trim is in bad shape from moisture but I know if I get out the paint for it, I will want to paint the entire house full of oak trim. Not ready for that painting adventure.

Tom has been working on the basement walls and getting 2 coats of  Drylok painted on to seal them.



South wall and rest of west wall to go!


As soon as he is done we will sit down and discuss what we want to do with the space.  I would like to spray the rafters/pipes/runs black.  There are only 2 heat vents down here, and both are located in the main run...not on the side of the basement we would use for additional living space of course. So will need to decide if we will add additional heat vents before painting rafters or just ad an alternative heat source.

The additional living space side of the basement.

In our previous house, we had hung white sheets on wire for "walls" and then had actual walls built before we put it on the market.  Thinking of going that route again, only this time with drop cloth used for it's heavier weight and neutral color to divide off the storage/mechanical areas.  There are MANY support poles in this basement, and a few are not standing level; I'd actually like to see if we really need this many posts ,that seem to be randomly placed, or if we can replace with beefier (and less) support posts.  Because this is a modular, where the support posts are located is where the house was put together so definitely need to do find an expert to look at. Lighting will be upgraded with can lighting in the rafters, finish paint on the walls, paint on the floor to cover the nasty rust stains left behind and perhaps a layer of commercial carpet thrown down.  We put 50 cent off-the-roll commercial carpet down from a big box store at former home and it was great on the feet for comfort and temperature.

The basement stairwell is...well...



...not appealing, shall we say?  MDF treads and plywood risers.  Odd landing. Badly finished drywall job.   The other side of the stairwell walls did not get any drywall, so open studs showing.


This side is our 2nd fridge and freezer area as well as my project supply area, so not concerned with finishing off the wall here.  The other unfinished side (identical to this side) will need something, which I'm thinking will involve barn wood (of which I can get for free from BIL's place). Would be a great place to hang a TV in the future with a sectional and then a pool table towards the other end of the space.  Oh the possibilities!  Time to get working on the basement mood board.

Will close out this post with photos of my recent Antique Farm House and Decor Steals website purchases that arrived last week:

Had to, obviously...vintage Michigan cherry crate

Reclaimed wood nesting tables.

I have turned a few friends into Decor Steals addicts...and to that I say YOU'RE WELCOME!

1 comment: