Friday, February 12, 2016

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover, Part Deux

Like many in our state, the view out my front door Monday afternoon looked like this:


Two days with no school.  TWO DAYS.

I was FINALLY able to leave the house yesterday (10-12" of snow + no snow plow = snowed in) so decided to head north a few miles to the best Mennonite store Country View (http://countryviewbulkfoods.com) for some groceries.  This was basically the entire drive after I left the comfort of my dirt roads:


I made it there and back, top speed of 25 mph!  And spent $80. Don't worry...my cellphone has voice command, only one finger used, the thumb, during the taking of this photo and the eyes never left the road.

Let's get back to the title of this post...

...I just couldn't leave well enough alone.  The pristine state of these newly painted white cabinets were driving me a bit nutty.  Constantly looking at them for scratches or tiny missing patches of paint.  I knew I had a bag of super fine steel wool in the basement mess, so I went digging.  And found it.

I couldn't let these cabinets age gracefully...I had to help them along.  To keep my sanity, what little is left.  Not sure who I was trying to kid with these cabinets looking so perfect anyways...that's NOT me nor is it my shabby farmhouse junky look I seem to be achieving.  Plus my OCD just wasn't having it.


I lightly distressed, hit all of the edges and a few random spots on the faces of the doors and drawer fronts. A couple of spots I got a bit over zealous with the steel wool, took off a bit too much paint, but will see if it bothers me enough to paint over them. So far it doesn't.











Still haven't decided exactly what treatment I am going to give the peninsula beyond the off black paint job...thinking it needs a multi-color distress treatment.  I have a spare laminate shelf I took out of one of the cabinets I will get to experimenting on SOON.

And very big THANK YOU to our neighbor who took care of us Tuesday night as the boys were dealing with the snow that had drifted back over the drive...that I had spent 2.5 hours shoveling the day before. Angel with a plow on his truck!


Next year: better snow removal beyond a SHOVEL and snow fencing. Priorities.

For now I will sit back and enjoy my stress-free slightly shabby kitchen cabinets.

4 comments:

  1. You know we have to live with the hubby now being called an "angel with a plow" :-) I think he was having fun pushing snow last week since we haven't had much this year, thankfully. Like the distressed look on your cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He IS an angel with a plow! Lol I could tell he was having fun...he came into the drive at top speed, loved it! Thank you again...and the cabinet distress is making my OCD happy.

      Delete
    2. He IS an angel with a plow! Lol I could tell he was having fun...he came into the drive at top speed, loved it! Thank you again...and the cabinet distress is making my OCD happy.

      Delete
    3. Shellie will gladly pay Dave if he can plow us out tomorrow after big snow!

      Delete