Monday, December 14, 2015

The countdown is on!

Although when it looks like this outside the past week...



...it's hard to feel in the Christmas spirit.  It was 60+ yesterday...in Michigan...mid-December!  I know many people are very happy we have had such a mild winter so far (it's coming at some point...sorry to bust their bubble) but it is really hurting our business owners up north that rely on the downstater's to spend their hard-earned cash enjoying the winter sports.  And that snow pack is needed to keep our lakes and rivers filled for the summer sports.  So I've been secretly doing the snow dance.

So the countdown is on to Christmas and this past week has been a busy one with getting together with some of my high school friends and making their gifts.  I chose a Pinterest craft (duh!) and it was easier than I thought being as I am no artist.  Involved white mugs, letter stickers, Sharpie oil paint pens and the oven (DON'T LOOK KIM):






Added a few decorations to the small trees and some more to the thrift store tree to spark her up:




I love this chubby little gourd Santa

Doing my best to cover up the old brass light.


Went to the Sandusky Lighted Christmas parade...if I had a big tractor, I would have it lit like this ALL year long. How fun would that me?!  Was not freezing the toosh off this year (although still chilly):







Ordered a 24"x36" poster, a 1677 Map of London, for the wall space between the closet and master bath doors, found a frame and hung it along with the 4 antique ornithology prints I found on eBay on my side of the bed. Have another map coming for another of the walls, an 1863 map of Cambridgeshire (think I've found a new addiction):



 

Added some red gingham check scrapbook paper to the back of the open cabinet in the kitchen to give it a little interest. Just used my scrapbooking supplies of a 12" paper trimmer and adhesive:




Also bought a new poster for M's room and hung that up along with his metal Route 66 sign:


We spent the weekend at our church taking part in the 10th annual Journey to Bethlehem live walk-through play.  100 cast members, as authentic as possible costumes and sets...hard work but everyone does such a wonderful job.  I've taken part in the last 7 of 10 years, with the last 2 being a part of the organization of the event.  Here are my boys, the big bad Roman Guard and Herod's poor harassed Beggar Boy (my hubs is 6'4" but because of the camera angle he looks shorter...felt I needed to point that out):


Today I've had to bake...baking terrifies me.  I am NO Betty Crocker.  I can mess up ready-made cookie dough!  But I have a cookie exchange party with a bunch of lovely super mom's so I swallowed my fear and went for it, Butter Pecan cookies.  A few of the recipes I found (Pinterest of course) were quite involved with the dough needing to be refrigerated overnight, and with all we had going on this past weekend (we put approximately 600 miles on the car Friday thru Sunday!) I needed a recipe that didn't require 2 days worth of prep.  AND THERE IT WAS!  A simple no-egg, 6-ingredient recipe for Butter Pecan cookies!  They were easy (and fun!) to make although I found out quickly what a P.O.S. my hand mixer is...hubs has already been informed that if he'd like me to up my baking game then I MUST have a good mixer. :)







Hope the girls like them...I did have to taste test of course and they passed my test.  More like a shortbread cookie, very yummy with my coffee.

So now this new week will be filled with finishing up the Christmas shopping and wrapping all of the gifts stuffed under the bed (and open them to remind myself of what I've bought again), getting my mom's gift out in the mail (she is in a nursing home in Virginia near my sister), singing at church, another high school friend get together plus shopping on Friday, sing at church again Saturday and church youth group Christmas party on Sunday.

Next Monday, I will be hibernating in my pajamas the entire day while reading books and napping.  Or maybe just napping.

'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment