Sunday, November 29, 2015

It's beginning to look a lot like....

WARNING: LONGER THAN NEEDED POST!

I received no less than 6 emails today from various retailers I have subscribed to that began with the title of this post. One ended with "savings!"  Another "Cyber Sunday!", which I suppose they can do that since Black Friday seems to technically be Black Thursday these days (neither of which I do...did Black Friday when it was still only on Friday ONCE, and felt like I was taking a chance with my life so never again).  Around here, the verse ends with "Christmas" and it is truly lifting my spirits!

I have struggled this past week with depression...I do believe, now that the house move frenzy of packing/moving/unpacking/painting/flooring has slowed down, it has finally hit home that I've moved away from all that I knew the past 13 years.  I know it's not that far, and it really isn't...the commuting to church, shopping, friends, doctors, work for Hubs is something we've quickly gotten used to.  Millions do it every day, and now so do we.  But unlike Hubs, who gets to interact with adults and converse (if he chooses) with, I am alone with my thoughts if I'm not doing something to the house. I am a SOCIAL PERSON whereas Hubs is not.  The man has had to talk more the past month we've been out here than he has the 13 years we've been together!  As soon as M gets in to the house off of the school bus...until he runs upstairs to get away from me.  As soon as Hubs walks in the door from his hour commute home that started at 4:30 that morning, I'M IN THEIR FACES. I'm trying to get conversation out of him when I'm sure all he wants to do is relax a bit.  He's too nice to tell me to shut my pie hole though. :)  Every time that little devil comes creeping up and whispering his crap in my ear I'm trying to do my best to swat him away...it's a struggle to do some times. I joke that I'm one of His favorite sinners...truthfully, I'm human therefore imperfect. But I'm forgiven. Something I have to remind myself of daily.  I need to get out and meet people, go meet the rest of my neighbors (I apologize to those that read this blog that I haven't introduced myself yet to!). Find me again.

SOOOOO......

I'm looking forward to a visit this coming week by a very good friend who is taking the time out of her busy schedule to come see my house for the first time, and a Christmas party at the end of the week to get my laugh and groove on with people I love and miss dearly.  I am determined to fill my heart with the good word of the Lord so that my spirits lift and stay that way.  And fill this house with lots of Christmas sparkle!

Over the long Thanksgiving break, we FINALLY got the 2nd floor all unpacked!

Before:

This.  This was KILLING me.  I hated walking up the stairs, hated that M had to side step this mess every day. That I had to side step it!

After:




I moved M's dresser into his walk in closet to make room for the 2nd black bookcase (moved out of the office) and Hubs unpacked all of the books into them.  There is a small amount against the wall but that is waiting for me to find an organizer bookcase...that will accept those Ikea baskets.  I also (with a few strong words) got his new curtains and rods hung.

I had purchased 2 organizer (cubby) bookcases online that a reviewer stated were big enough for M's Ikea baskets.  They weren't of course.  We left his very large/very heavy Expedit bookcase with the old house with the intentions of purchasing another (now Kallax).  I thought to save a few dollars and look at alternatives that were the same size...yeeeaaahhh.  We did get one 75% assembled when we realized its cubbies were too small but kept it for his books and the other will be returned. I guess I will need to make that trip to Ikea after all.

M's "man cave" is much more organized...not that he cared, but it was bothering this momma.


I would say that this 12 year old man-child has quite the sweet set up.  I will sit down and work on the original design plan I'd done up for his area one day...right now I'm letting out a huge sigh of relief that we've unpacked 95% of this area.

Unfortunately, there is still this area:


The office-slash-craft room.  With it's lovely white carpet.  Eh, it has a door I can shut.

After that great endeavor, I started dragging out the Christmas decor.


The Christmas tree we had at the old house was bought specifically for its small size (fI ound it on Ebay eons ago and it shipped from some retailer in Texas) so that it would fit perfectly into our bay window.  Here, it was a tad short for the front window but still the perfect circumference to allow us to pass by easily without knocking it over.  So my dilemma began: how to give this tree a boost so it could be seen through the window?

Attempt 1: round basket

Unfortunately, the base of the tree is wider than the basket. Fail. It now holds blankets.

Attempt 2: rectangular basket:
Wide enough!

I used three 1 gallon paint cans and my thick old wood cutting board inside this basket to "boost" the tree up, but it still wasn't tall enough for the window.

Attempt 3:


Here's how this combination breaks down: Hubs had these *cough*ugly*cough* yellow plastic cubes from his youth downstairs so he brought one up.  I rummaged through the unpacked goodies up in the office/craft room and found a large grain sack I'd picked up somewhere that fit over said cube.  I then tucked a burlap sack I found while rummaging around the base of the tree to cover up the oddities.

I just didn't like it.  Loved the height, not the style.

Attempt 4:
Winning!

I got rid of the basket entirely and just went with the cube.  Found 2 more burlap sacks, layered them over the top of the grain sack-covered cube and used a piece of red burlap as a skirt for the base.  Yes, I fixed the leaning tree.

Moving on...

I put my small tree at the bottom of the stairs, wired lit garland to the stairway handrail (this excited me...have never had a handrail before!), and put my mini tree on the sofa table.  I was losing light, so I quickly put my battery-operated wreath on the door and wound some lit garland on the porch railings.  I also added my flickering batt-op candles in the upstairs windows, master and guest room windows.  Today I added the wreaths to the porch railing before the sun went down.

While I was doing all that, Hubs put together the large 7ft tree I came home with from the local thrift store the other day in the sunroom...the only room large enough for this monster. Gorgeous tree, easy to put together...but missing its top.  Met my MIL (who works there) at the store to get 2 tree tops I knew didn't have trees (who donates pieces of a tree?!) to see if they were matches. One was a match needle-wise but a different color green...I do believe if I load it up with lights and various tree decor, the color difference won't be that noticable. :)


I'm not done decorating, have lots of "smalls" to get out, but I'm off to a great start!

I got the good camera out tonite and the 50mm lens, so prepare yourself for photo overload to close out this post...happy decorating, and hopefully happy hearts! And thanks for letting me vent.









Ode to my favorite Brits

2 comments: